About the Sawtooth Hotel
The Sawtooth Hotel was established in 1931 by Agnes Frakes and has been a landmark in Stanley ever since. It was operated solely as a summer business until 1964, when Clarence and Blanche Cole purchased it and operated it year-round. Back then, it was the place in town to have a coffee or game of cribbage.
In 1974, Kathy and Steve Cole kept it in the family and purchased it from Steve’s grandparents. They ran and operated it until 1997. In those years, “the Sawtooth” became known for its’ hearty breakfasts served, especially Kathy’s plate-sized sourdough pancakes. Within their hotel business, the Cole’s owned and operated Sawtooth Fishing Guides and Quilt Design.
In 1997, Steve and Kathy sold the Sawtooth Hotel to College of Idaho (formerly Albertson College.) The college brought students in for writing workshops and environmental studies. By then, however, time had taken it’s toll on the historic landmark.
In 2004, Kelli Kerns, and Tim and Becky Cron, (Kelli’s sister,) purchased the Sawooth Hotel. With a vision of bringing this historic building into the twenty-first century and much help from some very inspired friends, they undertook a major restoration of the hotel and it’s buildings. The project took nearly three years to complete. From corn- blasting the old red paint off the exterior, to the creation of a new commercial kitchen, to a complete remodel of the dining room and upstairs’ guest rooms, the trio was deeply involved in every aspect of the project.
One of the project goals was to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
We hope you enjoy it….